This image shows the 1906 Keel House conservatory. It was designed and fabricated in England, then re-assembled in the Ballarat Gardens. It was purely for display, only allowing public viewing through glass windows at either end. It became known as the Keel House because the roofline resembled a boat hull, but this roof profile was specifically designed to ensure that snow would be shed from the roof. It was replaced in 1959 by Cuthbert House, another conservatory which also did not allow public access.
An image from the Herbert Richmond collection, gifted in 1982 to the Ballarat Library. The collection contains approximately 200 photographs of Ballarat and district in the 1940s, 50s and 60s, as well as photo albums, glass negatives and other memorabilia.
Herb Richmond was a keen photographer, a foundation member and a life member of the Ballarat Camera Club, and a photographer with the Ballarat Courier during the 1940s. The Ballarat Camera Club named an annual award after him. Mr Richmond died in 1981 aged 79.
These images were digitally re-photographed by members of the Ballarat Camera Club in September 2006.