Historical information

The new State Electricity Commission construction camp at the head of the Kiewa Valley was for workmen on the second power station in the project expected to be the most modern and best equipped in Australia… In contrast to the early Kiewa days of horses and canvas tents, the new camp, with its modern amenities, compared favourably with any country town. Administration of the Kiewa Scheme was moved from Tawonga to Mount Beauty in 1946. The first house in Mount Beauty, in Hollonds Street, was occupied by the co-op store manager from November 1946. The new Mess Hall at Mt Beauty was opened with much ceremony in early November 1946. The houses up to Nelse street were erected from 1946 onward and then the township was extended beyond Nelse Street in 1950. The workmen's camp was enlarged in 1950 to the extent of providing accommodation for a total of 1,200.


Shows early construction in the town of Mt. Beauty surrounded by hills and farmland, with Mt Bogong in the background. Photo was taken in 1950 during the early stages of construction of the Kiewa Hydro electric System

Physical description

Black and white photograph of Mt Beauty township in 1950 showing original workers buildings. Photograph has a .5cm white border around the photo.

Inscriptions & markings

Handwritten on back of photograph in blue ink - SEC Camp and Town Mt Beauty 1950