Photograph - Clover Dam
From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Vic
- Black and white photograph of Clover Dam buildings and Kiewa River. Has a .4cm white border around photograph
- KVHS 1005
- clover dam, secv
- As part of the push to cut electricity costs and diversify supply, the Victorian Government (circa 1930) implemented the conversion strategy from mainly brown coal supply to hydro - electricity. The Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme became the largest scheme of its kind in the State Of Victoria and the second largest scheme in Australia.
Clover Dam and Power Station were built by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria as part of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme from the late 1930's to the early 1940's.
This dam was constructed to supply water to feed four turbines (62 mega watts) at the West Kiewa Power Station. This was at the forefront of sustainable "Green" energy. Costs associated with power supplies is still a major incentive of governments, however environmentally friendly alternatives such as wind and nuclear have also made inroads.
- The Kiewa valley and its surrounding alpine catchment were looked at(Victorian State Government), from the beginning of the twentieth century as a source of alternate power for an ever-increasing demand for electricity by growing population and heavy industrial areas within Melbourne City and State regions. Construction of dams, such as Clover Dam provided the large quantity holding areas of water required to turn the turbines at the various power stations to provide the electricity needed. The impact of these controls by moderating water run-off from the alpine regions is beneficial in reducing flooding from thawing of snow on the alps. This by-product allows agriculture and grazing to be less vulnerable to seasonal flooding thereby resulting in a more stable annual production level.
- Printed on bottom left corner of photograph in white - Clover Flat
- 8 Mar 2018 at 9:29AM