Historical information

Myrtleford Ski Club is a non-commercial, family friendly club. It was one of the earliest lodges to be built at Falls Creek and was one of the earliest ski clubs formed and celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2013. In 1949, Myrtleford Ski Club obtained permission for occupancy and began planning the MSC Lodge. There were only three other huts on the mountain, Bogong Ski Club in an old Army hut, Skyline as the Ski Club of Victoria lodge and the Albury Ski Club lodge. The lodge was built mostly from donated materials. The basement was dug out and lined with stone from the Ruined Castle area, timber was cut (using cross-saws) from the Walpole properties and was milled then carted up to Falls Creek on either the Walpole or Calvert trucks. The iron on the roof was originally a tobacco kiln on Billy McNamara's property. The lodge has undergone many improvements over the years including a second storey added in the 1950’s, updating of accommodation, shower and toilet facilities to meet the changing needs of members.
The lodge now caters for 38 people in a variety of shared rooms from two to eight beds per room. Toilet and shower facilities are also shared. The club has a Lodge Managers for the winter season.


Myrtleford Ski Lodge was one of the earliest ski lodges built in the Falls Creek area in 1938. It is an excellent example of early sporting and community activities in the Upper Kiewa Valley area. Photograph shows family members, including women, involved in the construction.

Physical description

Sepia photograph of the building of the Myrtleford Ski Club about 1948

Inscriptions & markings

Handwritten on the back of photograph in black pen - Building Myrtleford Ski Club (about 1948)
Stamped on back of photograph - 6 2511