Historical information

The Carisbrook Police Lockup, originally known as the Loddon Punt, was opened in 1851. At that time it was part of the Castlemaine Police District. Standing in the park beside Bucknall Street it is the town's one significant historic building. It was originally built on the police paddock adjacent to the primary school and moved to its present site in 1886. The walls are made of interlocking horizontally-laid logs. The shingle roof has been replaced with corrugated iron.

The lockup was registered by the National Trust on 22/10/1964.

Physical description

Colour photograph of a log building known as the Carisbrook Police Lockup.