The 13th Light Horse was raised at Broadmeadows Victoria in March 1915 from volunteers from across Victoria. The regiment served at Gallipoli, Egypt and on the Western Front. The guidon, emblazoned with the battle honours, was presented in 1927. In 1948 when 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as the descendent regiment of the 8th, 13th and 20th Light Horse Regiments it became the custodian of the three guidons including that of the 13th Light Horse. In 1991, the two Victorian mounted regiments 8/13th VMR and 4/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse were linked to form a single regiment which had custodianship of six guidons, 4th, 8th 13th, 17th 19th and 20th Light Horse Regiments. All except the 4th Light Horse Guidon were laid up at the Shrine in August 2005. The 4th guidon is to be laid up in November 2017.
A representative example of a symbol of the esprit de corps and achievements of a regiment of citizen soldiers drawn from Victoria. Well provenanced and fine example of military heraldic art.
Burgundy corded cotton flag with gold thread fringe with rope and tassels. at centre is 13th Light Horse emblem incorporating horse and red and white diamond colour patch, surrounded by wattle wreath and surmounted by king's crown. XIII in top left corner and battle honours on either side of centre motif,
Inscriptions & markings
"South Africa 1899-1902, Pozieres, Arras 1917, Amiens 1918, France and Flanders 1916-18, Egypt 1915-16, Somme 1916-18, Bapaume 1917, Ypres 1917, Albery 1918, Gallipoli 1915"