Stories Organisations Projects About Login

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection North Bandiana, Vic

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection is staffed by volunteers from the Regimental Association and contains documents, photographs and objects relating to citizen soldiers from Northeast Victoria and date from the late nineteenth century through to the present day.

Contact Information

location
Milpo Bandiana Vic 3694
phone
+61 0400 212 831

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only

Location

Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Anthony 'AJ' Hunter 26 November 2017 9:22 PM

A fantastic start - I hope to see more of your collection in the future

Barry Hacker 6 December 2017 6:16 AM

I have been following your work with great interest. All 8/13 VMR Association volunteers are to be congratulated. Well done.

Leave a comment

846 items

846 items

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Two colour photographs of Legatee Bob McDonald, President of the Albury Legacy Club presenting a plaque of appreciation to ' A ' squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted a parade at Buna Barracks, Albury on Sunday 1 May 1988 to mark the 103rd Anniversary of the formation of the Victorian Mounted Rifles and the 40th Anniversary of the linking of the 8th (Indi), 13th (Gippsland) and 20th (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Light Horse Regiments to form the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles. Colonel G K Howard, Director of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps was the Reviewing Officer. The Pipes and Drums of the 5th/6th Battalion Royal Victorian Regiment provided the music for the occasion. Following the parade Colonel Howard officially opened the Regimental Museum.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photpograph of Major R. Morrison, Squadron Commander, inviting the Reviewing Officer, Colonel G.K. Howard to inspect the troops on parade.

Historical information

A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted a parade at Buna Barracks, Albury on Sunday 1 May 1988 to mark the 103rd Anniversary of the formation of the Victorian Mounted Rifles and the 40th Anniversary of the linking of the 8th (Indi), 13th (Gippsland) and 20th (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Light Horse Regiments to form the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles. Colonel G K Howard, Director of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps was the Reviewing Officer. The Pipes and Drums of the 5th/6th Battalion Royal Victorian Regiment provided the music for the occasion. Following the parade Colonel Howard officially opened the Regimental Museum.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of officer and men of Tallangatta Troop 8th Light Horse Regiment.Names : Lt. L Wildsmith, J.J. Moyle, B. Kennedy, N. Stevenson, G. Agar, M. Paton, M. Caldwell, G. Morley, F. Paton.

Historical information

The Hutton Trophy or Shield was awarded annually to the best Light Horse Troop in Ausralia.The trophy is now held at the Armoured Centre, Puckapunyal.

Significance

Shows Citizen soldiers from North East Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Tallangatta Troop 8th Light Horse Regiment on winning Hutton trophy 1938. Wyeeboo Reserve " Also list of names.

Manual

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Maroon coloured stiff vinyl covered Technical manual being User Handbook Truck Wrecker 5 Ton GS with winch. Bound with metal screws. 102 pages. Published by Australian Army 19 February 1974.

Historical information

This vehicle was issued to 8/13 VMR in 1980s and 1990s for recovery purposes. Part of a collection of workshop manuals and user handbooks relating to equipment on issue to 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles during the latter half of the twentieth century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ink stamp on title page " 8/13 VMR Regimental Collection ."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Framed black and white photograph of officer wearing black beret with 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles hat badge. Inscription panel on lower frame.

Historical information

Major Michael Annet, an Australian Regular Army Officer, became Officer Commanding ' A ' Squadron " VMR Squadron " 4th/19th Prince of Wales Light Horse 1973 - 1994 and became Commanding Officer of the Regiment in 2000

Significance

One of a collection of photographic portraits of Commanding Officers and Officers Commanding of the regiment/independent squadron from its inception in 1947 to its linking with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse in 1991.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Maj. M. Annett 93 - 94 / 2000 C.O. 4/19 PWLH

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of line of light horsemen formed up on edge or horse lines. Photograph is part of 20th Light Horse collection.

Historical information

The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of photographs featuring a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period immediately prior to mobilisation for World War 2 (1939-1945).

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of parade " At Ease" prior to the " Advance in Review Order". Note, at no time do the guidon parties stand at ease, they remain at 'Attention ."

Historical information

In 1985, the portion of Puckapunyal Army Camp housing the Armoured School and Corps Museum underwent a major rebuild. The new facility named Hopkins Barracks was officially opened by HRH Prince Charles on 31 October 1985. Prince Charles, who was accompanied by his wife HRH Princess Diana, is Colonel in Chief of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC). The Barracks is named to honour Major General R N L Hopkins who was instrumental in the development of the RAAC and is affectionally known as the ‘father of the Corps’.

Significance

Part of collection of photographs of a rare event on the Australian military calendar, the opening of Hopkins Barracks Puckapunyal by HRH Prince Charles, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC) on 31 October 1985.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Framed coloured photograph of mounted troops with drawn sabres being an escort from 8/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Troop escorting the Governor General Sir Zelman and Lady Cowan at Bandiana 4 December 1981. Escort is commanded by Captain Robert Morrison riding to the right of the official car..

Historical information

Sir Zelman Cowan was Governor General of Australia, December 1977-July 1982. The 8/13 VMR Light Horse Heritage Troop was an extra curricular activity of the 8/13th VMR. Captain (later Major) Robert Morrison, a keen horseman, was the prime mover in raising the troop. All riders were serving soldiers.

Significance

Representative example of activities of a Heritage Troop of a serving Royal Australian Armoured Corps regiment providing a vice regal escort at a rare and historic event for the Royal Australian Army Ordnance Corps (RAAOC) and the Australian Army.

Inscriptions & Markings

Card panel " 8/13 VMR Light Horse / Troop Escort / to their Excellencies Sir Zelman and Lady Cowan at / Bandiana on the occasion of the / Presentation of the Sovereign's Banner to the Royal Australian Army / Ordnance Corps / 4 Dec 1981"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Framed black and white photograph of large gathering of soldiers in uniform standing on steps of Government House, Melbourne. The group is the Non Commissioned Officers of the 2nd Armoured Brigade, Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC). Three men standing at front centre are Lieutenant Colonel Tom Fogarty, HRH Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh and Warrant Officer Class 1 Arch Martin.

Historical information

This and another photograph (Catalogue 3393) was taken at a gathering of Officers and NCOs of the 2nd Armoured Brigade (RAAC) to meet Prince Philip at Government House, Melbourne during the Royal Visit 1954. The two photographs were framed and hung on the wall of the Headquarter Building at Buna Barracks Albury till 1991 when they were relocated to the Regimental Collection.

Significance

Rare record of an historic gathering during the Royal Visit to Victoria in1954.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed at lower centre of photograph "Philip 1954"

Medalion

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Bronze death disc depicting Britannia with trident standing alongside a lion and holding a laurel wreath over the name of the deceased soldier. Around the upper rim of the disc are the words "Died for Freedom and Honour". Two dolphins swim behind Britannia.

Historical information

Richard Wong, a 27 year old Blacksmith was born in Tasmania where his father was a Methodist minister. He moved with the family to Beechworth where his widowed mother, given as his next of kin, lived when he enlisted in the AIF on 22 January 1916. He served as No 5430 in the 17th Infantry Battalion. He was Killed in Action 2 March 1917 near Bapaume, France . 1,355,000 of these medallions were issued to next-of-kin of British Empire Service personnel.

Significance

Rare artefact related to a serviceman of Chinese ancestry who served in the AIF in the First World War (1914-1918).

Inscriptions & Markings

Cast into medallion "Richard Wesley Wong"

Document

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Eight page booklet with cover being the program for the presentation of the new guidon to the 14/20 King's Hussars by HRH Princess Anne at Hohine Germany, 12 June 1982.

Historical information

14/20 King's Hussars is an affiliated regiment of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles. A contingent from 8/13 VMR attended the presentation.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of men on dais at 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Open Day at Buna Barracks 28 February 1982.

Inscriptions & Markings

" John Maynes Ex 8th ALH presenting Norm Whitehead MC Ex 21st ALH, Chairman 8/13 Museum Committee with the Nichols Trophy ( Aggregate shooting score in 8th Rgt (CMF) on behalf of himself and Capt. Burnham Fraser MC, the last winner, absent through illness."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of mounted light horseman being Trooper Jack Bell, 8th Light Horse circa 1939

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.Jack Berll was a Farrier/ Blacksmith in 8th Light Horse 1930s and WW2

Significance

ShowLight Horsemen of late 1930s

Booklet

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Soft covered booklet with fabric binding strip " Royal Australian Armoured Corps Volume 3 - Armanent Pamphlet No.4 Fire Support Vehicle M113A1 ( FS ) 1971."

Historical information

8th/13th VMR was equipped with M113 family of vehicles in 1970s - 1990s. Cp.G.Wynd was a cadre staff member training armoured fighting vehicle ( AFV ) crewmen M113A1 Instruction handbook

Significance

AFV gunnery intro - handling - servicing & mechanism M113A1

Inscriptions & Markings

" Cpl Wynd " on front cover

Mug

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Silver plated mug with handle and decorated with a Victorian Mounted Rifles cap badge affixed to the side.

Significance

Representative of an object frequently given to a departing officer by an officers' mess. The regimental badge is soldered to the pewter by local jeweller.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Mayfair" on underside of base, otherwise uninscribed.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of General Grant tank in a bush landscape. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

"General Grant training days "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of dinner following Anzac Day Service, Corowa, 1985. Cataflalque party members Trooper Roberts ( far left ) Trooper Stevens ( nearest camera ) and Warrant Officer 2 D. Coxhead, all of ' A ' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Historical information

Catafalque party members were traditionally invited to an after service function. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of three soldiers of ' A ' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles preparing for firing the 84 mm Carl Gustav Medium Anti- tank Weapon at Puckapunyal.

Historical information

A’ Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles conducted an annual range day at Puckapunyal at which soldiers undertook instruction leading to qualification in a range of weapons including M26 Grenade, 84mm Carl Gustav Medium Antitank Weapon (MAW) and both .30 calibre and .50 calibre machine guns.

Hat

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Khaki heavy cloth beret with 'Rising Sun' badge and 2nd/8th Armoured Regiment colour patch.

Historical information

Worn by VX45541 Lieutenant Louis A Jackson who served with 2nd/8th Armoured Regiment in Australia and New Guinea during WWII. Following its return from New Guinea in 1944, 2nd/8th Armoured Regiment had a change of role and was redesignated Numbers 41, 42 and 43 Landing Craft Companies and served in Pacific Islands till the end of the war. In 1948, Louis Jackson joined the Citizen Forces (CMF) and served as a captain in the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Significance

This object is well provenance and, in its condition and completeness, is a fine example of unusual headgear worn by Australian armoured corps soldiers in World War 2 (39-45).

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of large group of soldiers arranged in three rows with one man in front with piano accordion.

Historical information

Between 1939 and January 1941, 575 members of rhe 20th Light Horse Regiment enlisted in the 2nd AIF. The Regiment was reinforced with men from all over Victoria called up for compulsory service.The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of photographs featuring a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period immediately prior to mobilisation for World War 2 (1939-1945).

Inscriptions & Markings

" 20th ALH members after enlistment in 2nd AIF 1940."

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Historical information

Salamaua Barracks, home of the Citizen Military Forces/Army Reserve in Cobram district was first an Infantry Depot and later an Armoured Corps Depot with a sub-unit of the 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles.

Inscriptions & Markings

Two colour photographs of a parade at Salamauc Barracks Cobram , December 1987. Soldiers are Captain Robert Morrison, Lieutenant John Burke and lance Corporal Taylor.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Sepia photograph of soldiers of Corryong Troop 8th Light Horse at funeral of Lieutenant General Ernest Squires

Historical information

Lieutenant General Ernest K Squire was Chief of Staff of Australian Army who died 2 March 1940 in Melbourne and was buried on 5th March. 8th Light Horse was in full-time training at Torquay..

Significance

Rare photo of soldiers from North East Victoria on Guard of Honour duty.

Inscriptions & Markings

" 8th Light Horse ( Corryong Troop ) as " Guard of Honour " at funeral of Lieutenant General Squires Melbourne 1940 "

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of Corporal Nigel Morris, a member of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Heritage Troop which mounted a Lance - Guard at the film screening at Albury 11 September 1987

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian mounted Rifles hosted a special screening of the movie “The Lighthorsemen” at the Regent Theatre Albury on 11 September 1987. The official party included the Area Commander Albury-Wodonga Military Area, Honorary Colonel 8/13 VMR and Officer Commanding ‘a’ Squadron 8/13 VMR. The VMR Heritage Troop mounted a Lance-Guard in the theatre foyer and the Albury City Band played prior to the screening. Proceeds from the function were donated to Legacy.

Document

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Typed letter on Legacy Club Albury letterhead advising members of the special screening of the " Lighthorsemen in partnership with 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles . 11 September 1987.

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8/13 Victorian mounted Rifles hosted a special screening of the movie “The Lighthorsemen” at the Regent Theatre Albury on 11 September 1987. The official party included the Area Commander Albury-Wodonga Military Area, Honorary Colonel 8/13 VMR and Officer Commanding ‘a’ Squadron 8/13 VMR. The VMR Heritage Troop mounted a Lance-Guard in the theatre foyer and the Albury City Band played prior to the screening. Proceeds from the function were donated to Legacy.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of group of nine servicemen, seven in Army uniform, one in RAAF uniform and one in Navy uniform. One of a collection of photographs of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiment between 1948 and 1951.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment. Anzac Day parades were a regular part of regimental life. The regiment was able to call on members who had previous service in RAN and RAAF.

Significance

Unique collection of photographs showing the first years of an armoured regiment of the post-Second World War era Citizen Military Forces showing equipment, uniforms, training and social activity and some personalities.

Inscriptions & Markings

" Anzac Day Albury: Left Sgt.Purcell, Sgt. Larkin, Sgt. Cunningham, Lt. McKay, Sgt. Vietch, Tpr. Davies, Cpl. Giles, Sgt. Neale and Sgt. Kothoff. "

Mug

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Silver plated mug with handle and inscribed on side.

Historical information

The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion and deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. The regiment was disbanded at the end of the war, 1945. 20th Light horse was the only light horse unit to serve overseas in WWII.

Significance

This is one of a collection of pewters presented by officers of a Light Horse regiment drawn from rural and regional Victoria in the period between the World Wars.

Inscriptions & Markings

"20th Light Horse Regiment / Presented by / Lieut R G Pryor 16-10-39"

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of Major Ian Docking, Officer Commanding ' A ' Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles during Exercise " Long Shot " 1986.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Black and white photograph of two soldiers of 8th Light Horse sitting between tents.

Historical information

The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded

Significance

Shows aspects of life when Regiment was in camp.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of 3 soldiers standing beside WW11 truck. Corporal Anton Florent 8/13 VMR in centre.

Historical information

‘A’ Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles took part in Bicentennial Parade at Wodonga 2 January 1988. Parade included Light Horse Heritage Troop, Historical Vehicle Club and current armoured vehicles.

Photograph

8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana

Colour photograph of a group of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles 0fficers at Dining In function 22 April 1989. Standing from left : Lt. J. Burke, Capt. C. Carrington, Lt. Marshall, Maj. R. Morrison, Lt. Mathews, Capt S Whitehead, Lt. J. Clay, Maj. I. Docking, Maj. G. Cole, Lt. Col J. Allard, Maj. R. McDermott, Col J. Neale, Seated: Capt. P.Hartung, Maj. M. Oates, Capt. P. Martin, Capt. J. McLean, Capt. L. Jackel.

Historical information

The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.