VX 42774 Captain H G (Bob) Fyffe, a grazier from Tocumwal, NSW, served with the Tocumwal troop of the 20th Light Horse prior to WWII (1939-46). He enlisted at the outbreak of war and served with the 9th Division Cavalry Regiment in North Africa. During the attack on Trig 22 on 17 July 1942 Captain Fyffe commanding a composite squadron manoeuvred his tanks to knock out machine guns and anti-tank guns enabling 2/32 Battalion to capture the objective. Captain Fyffe was awarded the Military Cross for his leadership and courage in the action. This was 9th Division Cavalry's first tank action of the war.
The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon return to Australia in 1945 it was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion and disbanded at the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse unit to serve overseas in WWII.
Silver plated tankard with engraving on side.
Inscriptions & markings
20th LH / Officers Mess / Presented by Lieutenant H G Fyffe