Book - Three Elephant Power
From the Collection of Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village 89 Merri Street Warrnambool Victoria
- Three Elephant Power
Author: A B Paterson
Publisher: Angus & Robertson
- H 18.5 x W 15.3 x D 2 cm
- warrnambool, shipwrecked-coast, flagstaff-hill, flagstaff-hill-maritime-museum, maritime-museum, shipwreck-coast, flagstaff-hill-maritime-village, shipwrecked-artefact, book, pattison collection, warrnambool library, warrnambool mechanics’ institute, ralph eric pattison, corangamite regional library service, warrnambool city librarian, mechanics’ institute library, victorian library board, warrnambool books and records, warrnambool children’s library, great ocean road, three elephant power, a b paterson
- This item is from the ‘Pattison Collection’, a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, which was founded in Warrnambool in 1853.
By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the lack of financial support led the WMI in 1911 to ask the City Council to take it over.
In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Library as it was then called.
When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Ralph Pattison.
Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself.
RALPH ERIC PATTISON
Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool.
In 1935 Pattison accepted a position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council. His huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum.
He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower area of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself.
He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there.
Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.”
Pattison took leave during 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant.
A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success.
In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne.
He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.
About A. B. ‘Banjo’ Paterson
Andrew Barton Paterson was born at Narrambla Station in New South Wales, Australia, on 17th February 1864 and died 5th February 1941.
His first seven years were spent on his father’s station, where like so many Australian children he enjoyed a bush boyhood. This property was at Obley in the Orange district of New South Wales. The family moved to the Yass district and lived near the main route from Sydney to Melbourne where he saw a great many bullock teams, drovers with herds of stock, gold escorts and Cob & Co coaches.
His lifelong love of horses and horsemen was forged from the riders and their horses he saw at the picnic races and polo matches the family attended. These horses and riders where from the Murrumbidgee River and Snowy Mountain areas of New South Wales.
Patterson lived most of his life in Sydney. He became a journalist, army officer, novelist, poet, solicitor and a war correspondent. He enjoyed many different sports such as tennis, rowing and, most of all, he delighted in his horsemanship.
His first poem ‘El Mahdi to the Australian Troop’ was published in the Bulletin in 1885 under the pen name of “The Banjo”, which was the name of his favourite horse.
In 1895 his first book was published and was sold out in the week of publication; he sold 7000 copies in a few months. This book was “The Man From Snowy River, and other Verses” and it contained such ballads as ‘Clancy of the Overflow’, ‘The Geebung Polo Club’, ‘The Man from Ironbark’, and ‘Saltbush Bill’. The tittle poem was first published in 1890.
In 1895 Patterson visited his fiancé (at that time), Sarah Riley, who was staying with her friends the Macphersons at Dagworth Station in Queensland. Sarah’s old school friend Christina McPherson. Christina replayed to them an old Scottish tune called “The Craigielee March” that she had heard played by the Garrison Artillery band at the Warrnambool picnic races in Victoria, 1894. Patterson wrote words to fit the tune and it became the now famous ‘Waltzing Matilda’.
He was commissioned by the Sydney Morning Herald and the Melbourne Age as they correspondent to report on the South African War. After being a roving reporter in China he went to England and spent time with Rudyard Kipling.
In April 1903 Paterson married Alice Walker in Tenterfield, New South Wales, and they had two children, Grace and Hugh.
At the outbreak of World War 1 Paterson sailed for England in the hope of covering the fighting in Flanders as a correspondent but finished up driving an ambulance for the Australian Voluntary Hospital, Wimereux, France. In 1915 as an honorary vet he made three voyages taking horse to Africa, China and Egypt.
On 18th October 1915 he was commissioned in the 2nd Remount Unit in the Australian Imperial Force and was promoted to Captain serving in the Middle East. He was wounded in April 1916, when he re-joined his unit he was promoted to major and commanded the Australian Remount Squadron from October 1916 to his return to Australia in 1919.
Once the War was over he resumed his work as a journalist until he retired in 1930 so that he could devote time to creative writing. He became a successful radio broadcaster with the Australian Broadcasting Commission using his travel experiences.
He wrote the children’s book “The Animals Noah Forgot” in 1933 and then in 1934 “Happy Dispatches” in which he told of his meetings with people like Winston Churchill and Kipling. “The Shearer’s Colt was published in 1936 and in 1939 he wrote for the Sydney Morning Herald.
After a short illness he passed away in Sydney on 5th February 1941.
- The Pattison Collection, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection.
The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute Collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations.
The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes.
The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.
- Label on spine cover with typed text RA 823.91 PAT
Pastedown front endpaper has sticker from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and Free Library
Front loose endpaper has a stamp from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute
Fly paper has a stamp from Warrnambool Mechanics Institute
- 11 Oct 2017 at 11:34AM