Photograph - View looking down Ingrams Road, Research towards the rear of Doney's store
From the Collection of Eltham District Historical Society Inc 728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria
- Black and white photograph mounted in an album, the Reynolds/Prior Photograph Collection, this being one of 53 reproduced black and white images of early Eltham.
- doney property, general store, ingrams road, main road, research (vic.), research hotel, research primary school, reynolds prior collection, sepp, shire of eltham pioneers photograph collection
- The small building at left of photo housed the school for a short period of time but it was too hot in summer and the community lobbied for a more substantial school.
- Tom Prior (Photographer)
- The Reynolds family were early settlers in Research.
The Reynolds/ Prior collection of photographs were taken by Tom Prior, the maternal uncle of Ivy Reynolds, around 1900 and the 60 photos in the album give a fine overview of many of the landmarks of Research and Eltham over 100 years ago.
lvy lived in the family home for many years at 106 Thompson Cres Research. Ivy's father, Ernst Richard Reynolds and grandfather, Richard Reynolds, lived at the same address. Ivy's father Richard worked for Mr. Trail on his property in Research. Reynolds Road is named after the family.
Mr Tom Prior (wife Eva) worked at the Melbourne zoo. He was very innovative and made his own camera, using the black cloth hood to exclude the light.
The photographs are a reminder of the rural nature of Research and Eltham and its rich heritage.
- The Reynolds/Prior Photograph Collection, Presented to the Eltham District Historical Society, 14 June 2006 by Ross McDonald. A second copy was also presented to the Andrew Ross Museum, Kangaroo Ground
- 5 Mar 2019 at 2:21PM