Photograph - Shire of Eltham, Soldiers' War Memorial, unveiled 11-11-26
From the Collection of Eltham District Historical Society Inc 728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria
- Black and white photograph mounted in an album, the Reynolds/Prior Photograph Collection, this being one of 53 reproduced black and white images of early Eltham.
- reynolds prior collection, kangaroo ground, war memorial
- Note the unfinished state-stones at base. Honour Roll not yet erected. Before the memorial was erected there was a cairn of rocks to commemorate Armistice Day. All travel was mostly by walking and school children walked to town each November 11 Memorial Service.
- Tom Prior (Photographer)
- The Reynolds family were early settlers in Research.
The Reynolds/ Prior collection of photographs were taken by Tom Prior, the maternal uncle of Ivy Reynolds, around 1900 and the 60 photos in the album give a fine overview of many of the landmarks of Research and Eltham over 100 years ago.
lvy lived in the family home for many years at 106 Thompson Cres Research. Ivy's father, Ernst Richard Reynolds and grandfather, Richard Reynolds, lived at the same address. Ivy's father Richard worked for Mr. Trail on his property in Research. Reynolds Road is named after the family.
Mr Tom Prior (wife Eva) worked at the Melbourne zoo. He was very innovative and made his own camera, using the black cloth hood to exclude the light.
The photographs are a reminder of the rural nature of Research and Eltham and its rich heritage.
- The Reynolds/Prior Photograph Collection, Presented to the Eltham District Historical Society, 14 June 2006 by Ross McDonald. A second copy was also presented to the Andrew Ross Museum, Kangaroo Ground
- 5 Mar 2019 at 2:27PM