This is a marble stopper bottle that came from the Warrnambool aerated waters factory of John Fletcher. This bottle was filled upside down so that as soon as the filling stopped the marble was forced down to seal the bottle against the rubber ring. Pressure inside the bottle would keep the marble pressed against the top of the bottle. To open the bottle the marble was pressed down where it has fallen into the neck chamber below. The marble stayed inside the bottle when it was tilted for drinking. John Fletcher worked as a young boy at Rowley’s cordial factory in Banyan Street Warrnambool. He then worked for John Davis who had established the Union Cordial Factory in Koroit Street in the 1860s. In 1885 Fletcher bought John Davis’ business and operated it until 1930. It was then bought by Ralph Reeves. John Fletcher manufactured soda water, tonic waters, lemonade, ginger ale, sarsaparilla, cordials, hop beer and hop bitters.
This bottle is of some significance as an example of a marble stopper bottle and as a memento of the Warrnambool soft drinks business of John Fletcher. He was a prominent businessman in
This is a mauve-coloured glass bottle known as a marble stopper bottle. The base and body are round with the top part of the body heavily indented to form a narrow opening leading to the neck. The neck is rounded and slightly tapering to the moulded round top. A green glass marble is loose in the neck section. The rubber ring at the top of the opening is missing. The details of the soda water manufacturer are embedded into the glass on the sides.
Inscriptions & markings
‘John Fletcher Trade Mark (crown symbol) Warrnambool’