This spoon comes from the Ozone Hotel in Warrnambool. The Ozone Hotel was opened in 1890 as the Grand Ozone Coffee Palace (a temperance hotel) and was at the corner of Koroit and Kepler Streets in Warrnambool. It was built by a company of local businessmen and leased out. In 1891 the Coffee Palace was granted a wine licence. In 1895 Thomas Randall was the proprietor of the building and it was re-named the Ozone Hotel. The building was closed in 1915 and was re-opened in 1920 as the Hotel Mansions. In 1923 the Hotel Mansions became a fully-licensed hotel. In 1929 it was destroyed by fire and the present-day Hotel Warrnambool was built on the site.
This little spoon is of considerable significance as it is one of the few items we have from the Ozone Hotel in Warrnambool. The Grand Ozone Coffee Palace/Ozone Hotel/Hotel Mansions was the grandest building ever erected in Warrnambool. Its destruction by fire was a major loss to the town.
This is an electro-plated nickel silver teaspoon. It has the maker’s marks on the back of the spoon and the name of the hotel on the handle. It is much tarnished and scratched.
Inscriptions & markings