Historical information

This cup has come from the Ozone Hotel, Warrnambool. The Ozone Hotel building

was opened in 1890 as the Grand Ozone Coffee Palace (a temperance hotel) and was

at the corner of Koroit and Kepler Streets in Warrnambool. It was built by a company

of local businessmen and leased out. In 1891 the Coffee Palace was granted a wine

licence. In 1895 Thomas Randall was the proprietor of the building and it was

renamed the Ozone Hotel. The building was closed in 1915 and re-opened in 1920 as

the Hotel Mansions. In 1923 the Hotel Mansions became a fully- licensed hotel. In

1929 it was destroyed by fire and the present-day Hotel Warrnambool was built on

the site.


This cup, although damaged, is of considerable importance as it is one of the few

surviving objects from the Ozone Hotel. The Grand Ozone Coffee Palace/Ozone

Hotel/Hotel Mansions was the grandest building ever erected in Warrnambool and its

destruction by fire was a major loss to the city.

Physical description

This is a white china cup with a dark red band around the cup near the top and a scroll

with the name of the hotel in the same colouring. The handle is completely broken

off. The cup has a crack on the side and some staining.

Inscriptions & markings

'Ozone Hotel Warrnambool’