Inscriptions & markings
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
This is an extract from "The memories of an Itinerant worker [swaggie] by George Everard. Forward by Horace W. Gould MBE" This is a rare example of a diary of a swaggie. This extract is also called Pioneering Days : journal of G. Everard, Victoria 1977
Foolscap sized photocopy of a handwritten account of the life of George Everard when he arrived in Melbourne in 1851, describing the town and his employment and life on Phillip and French Islands working for the McHaffies.
george everard, john david mchaffie, itinerant workers, french island, ballangiech ship, lifestyle
The Underdown family were early settlers on the Island, possibly in the 1890s. They lived in Reid Street, Rhyll. Name of donor is Ossie or Oswald Underdown.
Large, pale green sketch book with scale and freehand drawings of plants, flowers. Completed in 1912
Australian Sketch Book. Oswald Underdown.
drawing, oswald underdown, drawing book
The Underdown family were early settlers on the Island, possibly in the 1890s. They lived in Reid Street, Rhyll. Name of donor is Ossie or Oswald Underdown.
Large pale green sketch book with blank pages covered in native wildflower specimens and each page covered with transparent paper. a few pages of sketches at back of book. Completed in 1912
Australian Sketch Book
drawing book, wildflower collection, native flowers, oswald underdown
Details of tourist accommodation options on the Island
Small, red bound booklet with maps, tables, descriptions and photos advertising tourist accommodation in country Victoria.
Victorian Country Hotel & Guest House Guide 1939-40 "Where to go" in Victoria
tourist brochure, bayview guest house, guesthouses, carisbrooke guesthouse cowes phillip island, cowes progress association, cora lynne, the isle of wight hotel cowes phillip island, phillip island hotel, douglas house, hollydene guest house, osborne park guesthouse, marldon house, bonnie doon, yackatoon, elsford, widgee
A Phillip Island Road Board was formed in 1871. It was absorbed by Phillip Island and Woolamai Shire in 1874.
Foolscap photocopy of handwritten minutes of the first annual meeting of the Roads Board, appointing Mr James Forster as Chairman. Also minutes of adjoined general meeting, held later the same day, appointing John Houston was Clerk and all meetings be held at Bauer's Hotel.
First annual meeting held at Bauer's hotel on 15 November 1871at 12 o'clock
local government, roads board, solomon west, james forster, john houston
Solomon West and his brother John were pioneer settlers on Phillip Island. Solomon was also a local councillor.
Foolscap photocopy of a handwritten letter from The Crown Law Office to Solomom West Esq.stating his appointment as a Licensing Justice for Griffith Point. 5 Dec 1876
Solomon West Esq Phillip Island.
legal document, solomon west, lifestyle
On 29 November 1940, a suspension bridge opened between San Remo on the mainland and with Newhaven on Phillip Island. The 540 metre bridge had two lanes but no footpaths, instead having six pedestrian refuges. The main span was 168 metres long. The cables had previously been used on a bridge on Sydney's North Shore. Because of weight restrictions, tourist coaches had to offload their passengers. [Wikipedia]
Foolscap size photocopy of a petition to Shire of Phillip Island for a bridge to Phillip Island in 1937. Signed by 42 local residents and ratepayers.
first phillip island bridge to san remo, phillip island suspension bridge, petition, odlum, ockleford, regos, mcguigan, west, mcfee, richardson, underdown, mcmaster, cleeland, neely, leeson, saunders, scott, brown, hislop, donnellan, rackham, findlay, anderson
From 1923 until 2008, Warley Bush Nursing Hospital served the Island. In 1923 benefactors, Mr and Mrs W E Thompson, purchased the home of the late Robert Walpol, and presented it to the people of the island for use as a hospital. Warley was in fact the state's first Bush Nursing Hospital. It closed in 2008.[ The Advertiser]
4 small cream coloured booklets with accounts, reports, financial statements,subscriptions and membership forms.
warley hospital, medical services, bob davie, marjorie beaton, reports
It seems to be from the 1900s due to the date on cover.
Small tourist booklet with dark printing and photo of ferry on cover. Advertisements of businesses and descriptions of main towns including photos of old postcards.
Souvenir of Phillip Island. From, To Jim Blake Copyright registered throughout the King's Dominions. Fraser & Jenkinson 5 Queen Street, Melbourne
tourism, cowes general store, genesta house, acclimatiasation society, will kennon, san remo hotel
Frankston & Somerville Standard From 11 July 1908, two editions of the newspaper were produced, the Mornington and Dromana Standard and the Frankston & Somerville Standard, which became separate newspapers on 7 January 1921 and whose last issues were dated 5 May 1939. [Wikipedia]
Broadsheet newspaper with articles, advertisements and large map.
The Phillip Island Standard : Special Edition of the "Frankston and Somerville Standard. No. 3
newspaper, bay view guest house, newhaven boys home, tourism phillip island, genista house, broadwater guest house, mona vale guesthouse, the corner store, osborne house
Broadbent's Official Road Guides Company took over George R. Broadbent's business in 1935. In 1963, it changed its name to Broadbent's Road Maps Pty. Ltd. Broadbent's company produced many maps, road and tourism guides of Australia.
Small, beige coloured booklet with blue print and round photo of S.S.Alvina at Cowes jetty on cover. Advertisement for Westernport Steamer Service on rear page. Contains descriptions of main towns and places of interest. Also advertisements for guesthouses, businesses and tourist guides.
Broadbent's Holiday Guide to Phillip Island and San Remo. [alternative title]
tourist brochure, souvenir, broadbent's guides, phillip island accommodation, ferries, maps, guesthouses, hotels, shops
Series of articles collected by the Advertiser for the celebration in 2018 of 150 years of European settlement of Phillip Island. Printed by Chicory Publshing, division of The Phillip Island and San Remo .Advertiser.
Coloured hardcover book, 229 pages, with photos, stories and recollections of early settlement of Phillip Island
Once upon an island : the early days of Phillip Island Collated by Anne Oswin, Eleanor McKAy and Sarah Hudson.
phillip island history, phillip island & san remo advertiser, ferries, shipwrecks, motor racing, wollemi, chicory, golden cyprus trees, sharks, guesthouses, army ww1, ww2, warley hospital, football, olive justice, summerland, churchill island, erosion
Genista ferry served in Western Port from 1889-1932 . Postcard was sent to Elaine Robb's mother, Floss from her Aunt Dulcie.
Sepia postcard showing jetty with Genista ferry arriving. Also light pole, crane and several small boats. Another jetty in the background
The Rose Series P. 698 [ probable number] Copyright S.S. Genista at San Remo, Victoria
early postcard, ferries, genista ferries
Date may possibly be 1927 as typing has been changed.
Framed photograph of group of women, 3 seated.at front, dressed in coats, furs and hats.,
Taken at the Ventnor sports 10.4.26. Front row sitting- Mrs John McIlwraith, Mrs M. Evans, Mrs Janet Morrison. Standing- Mrs Morrison [ Fanny West ], Mrs Henderson [Minnie West], Mrs McDonald [ Alice West], Mrs J. Forrest [ Elsie Findlay ],Mrs Charlie West [ Annie Leeson ],Mrs Warren [ Janet Anderson ]
ventnor phillip island, west family, forrest family
Small booklet prepared for the Sale of Churchill Island - distributed by Martin & Co. Melbourne. The Island was owned from 1929 until this time by Gerald Buckley . An absentee owner, Buckley employed the Jeffery brothers, Bob and Ted, with the help of Harry Cleeland, to run the property. The Jeffrey brothers were promised by Buckley that Churchill Island would be passed to them on his death but this never happened.
Brown covered booklet with Information, maps and photos of Churchill Island
churchill island, churchill island sale
Items were crocheted about 1950 by Minnie Grachan of Back Beach, Ventnor for Mrs Dot Coutts nee Jones. She had 3 daughters so the items were never used.
Cream coloured, finely crocheted layette set of bonnet, bib and booties with cream satin ribbon and pink flowers
layette, crochet, baby clothes, clothing, grachen family, jones family
Pennant won by the Phillip Island Lifesaving Club in 1957
Blue felt pennant with yellow binding at top ,with beige writing
Royal Life Saving Society Women Winners Championship of Victoria Country Line & Reel 1957
phillip island life saving club, royal life saving clubs, trophies & awards
Bag was owned by great grandmother x 2 of Judy Ford.
Black silk evening bag with satin lining and thicker material lining on front side. Black ribbon strap. Embroidered with sprays of small white flowers made of material. Also bow of yellow ribbon.
evening bag, judy ford, social life,
Von Mueller, one of Australia's greatest botanists and contributor to the early development of the Melbourne Botanic Gardens. He had a home on Phillip island and was engaged to Euphemia Henderson.
5 pages. One typed sheet from Mrs V. McHaffie and 4 photocopied handwritten pages of letter.
Letter from Baron Von Mueller to Miss Euphemia Henderson [ sister of Mr J. D. McHaffie of Phillip Island]. Mrs V. McHaffie. 8 August 1973 Melbourne Botanic Garden, Sunday 22 February 1863
baron von mueller, miss euphemia henderson, letters, mrs v. mchaffie
Summerlands Estate was created in the 1920s by A.K. T. Sampbell. It consisted of a housing estate, guest house and golf course. This area was acquired and all buildings, roads etc removed by the Victorian Government in the 1980s for a nature reserve for the penguins. This is believed to be the only time in the world when humans have been removed to benefit nature.
Purple leather covered fold out linen map with hand drawn diagram of the topography, layout of golf holes and club house
Broken sand dunes, rough sandy hills, grassy hills and mounds, Swan Lake, Par for nine holes 34, Scratch score for nine holes 36, Drawn by A. Russell 12/12/1927
summerland estate, summerlands golf course, a.k. t. sampbell, map, penguin reserve
Suspension bridge was opened in 1940.
4 small black & white photographs of opening of suspension bridge, showing infrastructure and people and cars attending.
first phillip island bridge to san remo, phillip island bridge opening
Original constructors of the Island racetrack, prior to Lukeys.
Small pink coloured cardboard ticket with black printing and PIARC logo
PIARC Foundation Member's Pass No.1012 Valid to June 30 1961 R.A. Hunt 28 High Street Mont Albert
phillip island car racing, motor car racing, membership ticket
The Speke was wrecked in Kitty Miller Bay, Phillip Island in 1906. This account by Donald Cameron was later challenged by local historians.
A4 printed copy of an article from The Advertiser on shipwrecks and The Speke. It contains recollections of local, Donald Cameron. July 25, 2021
The Advertiser. Ship Wrecks. The Wreck of the Speke. Jul 29 2020 Updated July 25, 2021
the speke, shipwrecks, the advertiser, sailing ships, donald cameron, kitty miller bay phillip island, figurehead of the "speke"
A group of farming families purchased the store of Mr Roy Bain on the south west corner of Chapel Street and Thompson Ave, Cowes for the Co-Op store. It began as stocking farming equipment but later had general grocery items.
Pale blue exercise book containing hand written minutes of the Co-Operative Society, includes lists of shareholders.
Annual and committee meetings held. Cover - Mathematics book, Nancy Jenner W.T.S.
phillip island co-op store, roy bain, f. b. morgan-payler, farming
Issue of severance of Phillip Island from the Shire of Phillip Island and Woolamai to become Shire of Phillip Island 1925-1929. This issue had strong opinions on both sides amongst Island residents and shows the political landscape of the times. This is a snapshot of life on Phillip Island in the 1920s. Book also contains notes, poem by D.H. Robb in his handwriting.
Green exercise book with handwritten notes, articles from newspapers, pamphlets.
Cover states D.H.Robb, Cowes. Lists of absentee ratepayers and householders, objectors,
d.h.robb, severance of phillip island, local government, w.d.davie, akt sambell, women's progress association, phillip island early roads, phillip island valuations, local identities, reverend rath, tourism, phillip island 1920s, farming
The Powlett Express was based in Wonthaggi, precursor to The Sentinel Times. WDFL was the Wonthaggi and District Football League. Shops were Wonthaggi Shops team. This photo was prepared for inclusion in "Phillip Island in Picture and Story" by Gliddon but never used.
Black and white photo of newspaper article
The Powlett Express Thursday September 6, 1951. " Island won the greatest G-Final Island" "In Saturday's Grand-Final", "These were stars"
phillip island football club 1951 premiers, joshua gliddon, the powlett express 1951, redda claringbould, wagner, bill jones
This land was owned by the McRae family, whose wife was a Justice. Hence the street names of McRae and Justice. The weatherboard family home [ originally a guest house called Glen Isle] was at the end of the current Justice Road. The estate was created in the mid 1960s. The house was put on skids and dragged by two tractors and a bulldozer to 364 Church Street while the family home was built at 368 Church Street, Cowes.[ Source Sandra Rocotas, nee McCrae. Facebook Community Noticeboard 5/2/2023. Permission given to use information and photos ] Estate was sold by Rogan Real Estate.
Coloured A4 brochure describing the McRae Beach Estate, including plan of streets and location on Island, photos and description of the Island. Sold by Rogan Real Estate.
Cowes McRae Beach Estate - Right in the heart of things .Phillip Island - The Loveliest Isle on Earth
housing, justice family, mcrae family, glen isle guesthouse, cowes west, rogan real estate cowes phillip island
Probably a band competition held in Leongatha. Band contained members Peter Forrest, unknown Dixons, De La Haye, Cleeland, Gliddon and West.
Coloured photographs of the Phillip Island Band in Leongatha 1957
philip island band, cleeland, dixon, forrest, gliddon, de la haye, bryant west
Coloured photo of band marching along Thompson Ave, Cowes, led by Harry De La Haye. Cypress trees in background and people watching.
Back to Cowes. Harry leading band procession from Hollydene [guesthouse] to sports ground. Front row L to R - P. Forrest, B. West. P. Cleeland, A. Cleeland. 2nd row J. Dixon, T. Westley, A. Towns [hidden], R. Cleeland, L. Dixon.
philip island band, p. forrest, b. west, a. cleeland, j. dixon, a. towns, r. cleeland, l. dixon
Card was possibly sent by Bert Finlay to Albert [Bert] West.
Sepia photo of 4 canvas tents with trees in background. 4 men standing outside each tent. Also a bicycle and items inside tents.
Telegraph camp. Phillip Is. 5/12/10 With best wishes for a bright & happy Xmas 1910. From Bert F. Addressed to Mr A. West.Cowes P. O. Phillip Island
bert west, sepia photograph, camping, bert finlay
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.