Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES
466-56: Alexander McLardy Sr. The descendants of Alex McLardy came to Phillip Island in the year 1886. A builder by trade, he built a great number of houses and buildings on the Island. He was also the founder of the Guesthouse "Glencoe". At 90 years of age he could still read well without the aid of glasses. He died in 1956 aged 95. Others buried in the double graves are: Robert Alexander died 1926 aged 10 months, Alexander Thomas died 1971 aged 76, Beatrice died 1966 aged 73, Donald Alexander died 1992 aged 64 and Claire Isobel died 1993 aged 61.
466-57: Walter Findlay. Walter's parents George and Mary, came to Australia in 1852. Walter was born in Sale circa 1883. He married Henrieta Kennon and they lived and farmed in Settlement Road, Cowes prior to their shop and residence being built in Warley Avenue, Cowes. The shop carried general merchandise and confectionery. The property was absorbed by Bass Coast Family Medicine on the west side of Warley Avenue. Henrieta died September 1965 aged 84. Walter died July 1965 aged 82.
The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.