Historical information

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) plans were produced from the 1890s to the 1950s. They were crucial to the design and development of Melbourne's sewerage and drainage system. The plans, at a scale of 40 feet to 1 inch (1:480), provide a detailed historical record of Melbourne streetscapes and environmental features. Each plan covers one or two street blocks (roughly six streets), showing details of buildings, including garden layouts and ownership boundaries, and features such as laneways, drains, bridges, parks, municipal boundaries and other prominent landmarks as they existed at the time each plan was produced. (Source: State Library of Victoria).


This plan forms part of a large group of MMBW plans and maps that was donated to the Society by the Mr Poulter, City Engineer of the City of Kew in 1989. Within this collection, thirty-five hand-coloured plans, backed with linen, are of statewide significance as they include annotations that provide details of construction materials used in buildings in the first decade of the 20th century as well as additional information about land ownership and usage. The copies in the Public Record Office Victoria and the State Library of Victoria are monochrome versions which do not denote building materials so that the maps in this collection are invaluable and unique tools for researchers and heritage consultants. A number of the plans are not held in the collection of the State Library of Victoria so they have the additional attribute of rarity.

Physical description

Original survey plan, issued by the MMBW to a contractor with responsibility for constructing sewers in the area identified on the plan within the Borough of Kew. The plan was at some stage hand-coloured, possibly by the contractor, but more likely by officers working in the Engineering Department of the Borough and later Town, then City of Kew. The hand-coloured sections of buildings on the plan were used to denote masonry or brick constructions (pink), weatherboard constructions (yellow), and public buildings (grey).The streets and built structures in MMBW Detail Plan 1294 & 1295 were surveyed in 1903 and released to contractors in 1904. This plan is one of two in the collection where the lithographers amalgamated two separate plans. Both plans include sections of Studley Park. Dominating the south and west corners of Kew Junction are the Clifton and Kew Hotels. The Kew Hotel, owned by Patrick O’Shaughnessy was one of the oldest in Kew. MMBW plans were amended over time to take account of new subdivisions such as that which created Merrion Place. Of the four mansions shown in Studley Park Road, three remain – ‘Field Place’, the home of Frances Henty, ‘Leaghur’ and ‘Darley’. ‘Byram’ (later ‘Goathland’, then ‘Tara Hall’) was an architectural marvel. Designed in 1888 by E.G. Kilburn for the paper magnate George Ramsden, it was demolished in 1960. While an earlier sale of the southern section of Byram had created Tara Avenue in 1927, the demolition of the house in 1960 enabled the extension of Tara Avenue northward.