ELTHAM HERITAGE TOUR The Society excursion on 24th May 1992 was arranged by David Bick, leader of the team carrying out the Shire's heritage study. David selected a number of sites or buildings identified in the study, some of them lesser known components of the Shire's heritage. The tour commenced at the Eltham Shire Office at 10.00 am. Travel was by private car and mini-bus with stops at about twelve locations for commentary by David. It included a short walk in Hurstbridge and lunch at Kinglake. Highlights of the tour included: - 10 am Leave from Shire Offices - 3 Important Trees - A Physical Link to Eltham's First Settlers - Toorak Mansion Gates - A Surviving Farm House - An Intact Circa 1900 Main Street - First Settlers - Gold Miners, and Timber-getters - An Early Hotel - A Pioneering Homestead - Changing Eltham Shire - 20th Century - 4 pm Afternoon Tea and Finish Tour.
Extract from ELTHAM CULTURAL HERITAGE TOUR (Newsletter No. 85, July 1992, by Bettina Woodburn) "The land was unprofitable for intensive farming, but there was always water in the Diamond Creek. The railway, a technological advance, followed the valley, and was provided to transport produce. At North Eltham we were privileged to tour a surviving farmhouse of the 1860-70 era at the Shire’s Edendale Farm, with the as yet unfinished Sculpture for a front fence - bulbous tree-trunks decorated with salt pots, with cross members from the old trestle bridge. As was usual these six veranda posted houses faced South (or East, away from the sun!) with the scullery, kitchen and pantry "out the back". The veranda, which must have been very narrow, no longer exists. It probably wrapped around three sides. The drive took us past the Dutch Windmill, only twenty years old and in the Shire of Diamond Valley, then the Diamond Creek Cemetery with impressive gateway, to a detour to see another old farmhouse, isolated on a hill off Murray Road Wattle Glen. Here was a particularly thick patch of exotic planting of pines and cypresses. Subsistence farming no longer pays. Following the rail-line we noticed on the left near Silvan Road an Edwardian cottage and on the right near Yates Road the old school residence for this Upper Diamond Creek area."