Photograph - Mr Randall Stewart Murray Lay Reader offering in the St Nicholas chapel, Williamstown Seamen's Mission.
From the Collection of Mission to Seafarers Victoria 717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria
- Black and White Gloss print photograph - Image features a minister delivering a chapel service
- H 10.2 x W 15.3 Cm
- randall stewart murray, st nicholas the mariner chapel, chapel, lay reader, williamstown, victorian-seamens-mission, 139 nelson place, e,s and a bank, english, scottish and australian bank, stained-glass window, pews, lightkeepers' auxiliary, warrnambool, mrs musther, brooks, robinson & co
- Subject had a long standing connection with the Mission
- Mid 20th C. after 1947
- This is a rare picture of the interior of the St Nicholas chapel which was erected behind the former E, S & A Bank building used by the Williamstown Seamen's Mission branch from 1944.
The picture also shows the round stained glass dedicated on Sunday 14 December 1947.
Article in the Age reading: "Seamen's Window Dedicated - A window in St. Nicholas' Mariners' Church, at Williamstown, in memory of the merchant seamen who were killed on active service In the last war, was unveiled and dedicated yesterday.The ceremony was performed by the Bishop of Geelong (Rt. Rev. J. D. McKie).
The window, erected by the Williamstown Lightkeepers' Auxiliary of the Victoria Missions to Seamen is placed behind the altar. It shows a quartermaster, with his hand on the wheel, and the figure of Christ pointing ahead. Bishop McKie paid a tribute to the spirit of the men who gave their lives at sea in the service of their country. He said the work of the auxiliary would still be of great value, although the war was over."
The decision of the window was published in August 1947, Mrs Musther -who created the Lightkeepers' Auxiliary branch in Williamstown - ordered it from Brooks, Robinson & Co. (job books 1923-1966).
The furniture and window were donated in 1979 to the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village in Warrnanbool, and located in the chapel.
- Hand written in black texta; ... Mission to Seamen, Williamstown Chapel service... Circa 1957
- 27 Aug 2019 at 4:22PM