In 1824, Hume and Hovell were the first Europeans to pass through the district and graziers soon followed, impressed by the abundance of fodder and water. The first cattle run in the area was settled in about 1838 in what was known as Swampy Plains. Later, this run became known as “Khancoban Station”. Khancoban lies in the heart of the high country and is home of Australia’s mountain cattlemen. This heritage is celebrated in Banjo Paterson’s epic poem, “The Man from Snowy River”. In 1962, Bruce and Jo Chisholm relocated from Bond Springs to Khancoban Station, which Bruce had acquired in 1959. Khancoban Hereford and thoroughbred stud progeny were keenly sought after whenever they were presented in the sale ring. Bruce imported a stallion, Comet, from England in 1964. Comet stood at Khancoban for 15 years and was the sire of numerous winners, including Cobbermine, Kelly's Eye, Boack and Starglow.
Photographs demonstrate local Kiewa Valley residents enjoying a community visit to the historic homestead at Khancoban Station which holds significance to the early history of the area. Its heritage is celebrated in Banjo Paterson’s epic poem, “The Man from Snowy River”. Also demonstrates a pictorial history of social activities undertaken during this period
Black and white photographs mounted on buff card 1. Kiewa Valley residents visiting Khancoban Station 2. Photo of thoroughbred horse Comet and handler at Khancoban Station
Inscriptions & markings
1. Handwritten in black ink below photo- Khancoban Station. Mrs. Young, Mrs Van Der Weyde 2. Handwritten in black ink above photo- "Comet' at Khancoban