David Reid (1820-1906) was a pastoralists and politician. He left school at 16 and after meeting the overlander John Gardiner he decided to look for land south of the Murray River. Equipped by his father with some 500 head of cattle, 2 bullock wagons and teams and 6 assigned servants, he reached the Ovens River on 8 September 1838. David settled at Currargarmonge, near Wangaratta. At the end of 1843 he took up land near Yackandandah. In 1847 he took up a section of the family run of which Woorajay (Wooragee) formed a part. He built the first water driven flour-mill in the district on his Yackandandah run in 1845; his woolclip of 1848 was one of the first to be handled by R. Goldsbrough and was claimed to come from sheep descended from stock imported in the 1820s from George III's flock. Going into politics, he held the Legislative Assembly seat of Murray from October 1859 to May 1862.
David Reid was a highly regarded grazier and local politician who was significantly involved in settlement around the Yackandandah area. Photo demonstrates ongoing interest in the local history of the area and its early residents
2 colour photographs mounted together on buff card 1. Man and 2 children (unidentified) standing outside the remains of the Reid home. 2 Dec, 1973 2. Group of unidentified people on a tour of the old homestead of D. Reid. 2 Dec, 1973
Inscriptions & markings
1. Handwritten in black ink under photo 'D. Reid's home 1845. At Mill Park. 2 Dec 1973 2. Handwritten in blue ink under photo 'Snapshots Clare Roper"