Historical information

1. In 1940 Field Headquarters for the Kiewa Scheme were established at Bogong with office, workshop facilities and accommodation for workmen, staff and some families constructed. (There had been a 'tent camp' on this site in 1939 but was destroyed by bushfires) Construction of accommodation continued until 1947. A total of 40 houses plus a hostel for single staff, post office, police station, medical centre and primary school all with water and sewerage and electricity supply. The staff hostel was known as Kiewa House and is now occupied by the Education Department. Lake Guy was named after Mr. L.T. Guy who was the Resident Engineer in charge of construction work and associated activities on the Kiewa area. He held this position from 1939 to November 1946 when he was transferred to Head Office.
2. Example of the type of heavy machinery used in clearing and building of Lake Guy, Bogong Village and Clover Dam


1. The Bogong Township was developed firstly as an accommodation centre (base camp) for construction workers employed under the Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme. At the completion of the scheme, in the 1960's, the village was opened to public/tourism use. Strict environmental control has not allowed for any extensive redevelopment in tourist accommodation and basically restricted it to the accommodation initially built for the construction workers. Lake Guy is one of the many water storage reservoirs used to supply the power stations their main power to run the huge turbines generating the final product, electricity
2. Pictorial record of the types of machinery used in the development of Bogong Village and the Hydro-electricity scheme including the Clover Dam. Note the lack of safety equipment worn by construction workers of the period.

Physical description

2 black and white photographs taken at Bogong
1. Lake Guy with Bogong Village in the background
2. Workman in bulldozer clearing rocks, possibly for construction at Bogong

Inscriptions & markings

1. Handwritten in blue ink on back of photo 'Lake Guy showing Bogong Village'
2. No markings