Historical information

The School officially began in 1874 under head teacher Robert Harris, in rooms of the then Christmas Hills Post Office Store. By 1879, authorities agreed a new school was required. As with the citing of the Hall, there was considerable local controversy over whether the school should be built on the high point of School Lane, or the current location (then known as Scrubby Point).

This pleasantly-sited bush school was opened in 1880, having been built by Jospeh Stevenson (Jr.) after his successful tender of £390. - Christmas Hills Past & Present (Yarra Glen & District Historical Society), 2004


Early students / school early 20th century

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.'
It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Physical description

Digital image
4 x 5 inch B&W Neg