Historical information

Sweeney's, originally Culla Hill, a former homestead, located on a site bought from the crown in 1842 by Irishman Thomas Sweeney. The cottage is important in the history of Eltham and of architectural interest as an example of a Colonial Style dwelling. The Living room shows a wooden door and floor with rug. A window to the left, two seats and a book case. This was the home of V.C. Burston.

Significance

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book, "Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.'
It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Physical description

Digital image