Historical information

This tin grease pot appears to have been hand soldered, possibly in one of the De Grandi cycle shops in Warrnambool. In 1897 Lou De Grandi started a partnership with Alf George in Warrnambool and a year or two later opened his own business at 68 Liebig Street and in 1905 moved to 84 Liebig Street. Lou De Grandi’s own Warrnambool cycle make was called the Champion and cycle sales and repairs were combined with an electroplating service. Another shop was opened in Fairy Street but this closed when a new shop was opened at the corner of Lava and Liebig Streets. In 1922 Lou’s son, Ern commenced his own cycle business in Timor Street and this shop later moved across the lane in the same street (1935). Ern retired in 1960 and his son Cyril continued on the business as a sports store catering for over 20 sports. This shop closed in 2011.


This grease pot, rusted and primitive, is of interest as coming from the Ern De Grandi cycle and sports store in Timor Street, Warrnambool. The De Grandi family was connected with sports stores in Warrnambool for over 100 years.

Physical description

This is a metal pot or jug with a handle, a detached lid and a pouring lip. A thin piece of wire is attached to the sides and acts as a carrying handle. The pot is much rusted. It has a metal plaque on the side of the pot with details of the original owner.

Inscriptions & markings

‘Over 100 yrs old from Ern. De Grandi bike shop’