Household - Shaving kit
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a silver-coloured Gem safety razor in a rectangular green Bakelite box. The box lid has metal pins acting as hinges and inside the box there are moulded sections to ensure the razor fits snugly into the box. The razor handle has an etched decorative pattern and the top part opens so that a blade can be inserted. There is a blade in this section.
- .1 Box – W 5 cm. L 9.6 cm. D 3 cm. .2 Razor - L 9 cm.
- gem safety razor, history of warrnambool
- Safety razors were fist produced in the late 1800s by the Star Razor Company in U.S.A. and it was a former employee of this company that produced the Gem Safety Razor in 1898. The Gem razor, to be produced in later years by the American Safety Razor Company, became one of the world’s most popular razors and in the 20th century it was the major competitor to the Gillette razor produced in the U.S.A. The safety razor has been largely superseded by the disposable razor blade and the electric razor.
- Mid 20th century
- American Safety Razor Company
- This safety razor has no known local provenance but it is retained as an example of the type of safety razor used in households for the most part of the 20th century.
- On box: ‘Gem’
Blade: ‘Gem Double Life, Gem Blade, British Made’
Inside the razor: ‘Gem Brooklyn New York Made in U.S.A.’
- 11 Apr 2018 at 5:23PM