The P.S Australien was built in 1897 by Richard Wilson, of Moama, at Echuca. In 1937 it was used to tow boilers, winches, derricks etc. for construction of Locks 6,7,9 and Yarrawonga Weir. Presently awaiting restoration at Echuca. ( Ref Parsons, Ronald. "Ships of the Inland Rivers." ) p.51
The P.S Australien is significant because it is one of the oldest Paddle steamers built at Echuca. It was a working vessel during the construction of the Yarrawonga weir in the 1930's which was the beginning of the irrigation system which enabled the Agriculture Industry to become such a prominent industry in the Murray-Darling River Basin. The barge is viewed from the rear, and the rudder can be seen. This photograph also shows the extent of the load of wool which barges could carry. The two vessels appear to be moored at a small pier. They are also tied together , presumably to prevent the current moving the load of wool. A small group of people can be seen on the lower deck of the paddle steamer.
This is a photograph of the P.S Australien, and a barge loaded with wool.
Inscriptions & markings
On the paddle steamer are the words Australien.