Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Black & white photograph

From the Collection of Port of Echuca 52 Murray Esplanade Echuca Victoria

Description
A black & white photograph of the P. S. Edwards towing the barge "Ada". A large tree is in the foreground and frames the boats. The boats are on a bend in the river. The barge appears to be laden with timber.
Size
H 12.00 cms X W 9.00 cms.
Links
Object Registration
P000388
Keywords
port of echuca, p. s. edwards, evans bros saw mills, ada barge, wool industry, p.s pevensey, darling river
Historical information
The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. Official number 73287, made of wood, with paddle wheels at the side. 78 gross tons, 27 nett tons. It was altered in 1916 , after cabin removed 48 gross ton. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 and then raised in January 1981 and then was being restored by Geoff Evans in 1985 (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67)
The barge Ada was built in 1899 at Echuca by the Permewan Wright Company. The Ada hull was built of part wood and part steel, to protect the wool from becoming wet on the voyage down the Darling River to the Echuca Wharf. The Ada was used as a logging insider barge as well as a wool barge with the Pevensey on the Darling River.
Significance
The P. S. Edwards has historical and social significance being a paddle boat built in Echuca. The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 "and as the mill was burnt in 1959 salvage was not attempted. She was raised in January 1981 and in 1985 was restored by Geoff Evans. While owned by Evans Bros, was used to bring red gum from the Barmah Forest to the sawmill in the barge Clyde." (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67) The barge Ada was significant because of the construction of the hull, being part wood and part steel. The Ada was used as an inside looking barge as well as a wool barge with the P.S Pevensey on the Darling River. The barge Ada is still on display at the slipway at the Port of Echuca.
Inscriptions & Markings
In blue pen on reverse of photograph are written the words ? Adelaide (crossed out) Edwards & Ada barge ID4. Geoff Evans ? ( also crossed out).
Last updated
19 Oct 2017 at 12:43PM