From the Collection of Port of Echuca 74 Murray Esplanade Echuca Victoria
- Colour (hand painted?) postcard and colour negative f P. S. Adelaide towing an outrigger barge. Three men can be seen on the lower deck and one on the top deck.
- P000396.1 Postcard: 13.5 X 8.5 cm N000396.3 Negative: 3x4 cm
- p. s. adelaide, echuca, port of (riverboats), echuca - history, post cards, echuca, paddle steamers, timber barges
- P. S. Adelaide was a logging steamer operating between Echuca and Barmah forest. It was built in 1866 by G. Linklater, Echuca. Original owner J. G. Grassie, Poon Boon Station & S. H. Officer, Murray Downs Station. In June 1891 she was purchased by Murray River Sawmills and spent most of her working life on the Barmah Forest run. In 1960 she was purchased by Echuca Apex Club and steamed to Echuca. Installed on a bed of cement in Hopwood Gardens, Echuca before being restored to be refloated as a significant addition to the Port of Echuca maritime fleet (Parsons, R. Ships of the Inland Rivers. 2005. p.46)
- Original photograph probably taken late 1890's Postcard c. 1908 (postcard appears to be dated 08)
- W.T.P Post card
- The P.S Adelaide is extremely significant as it it the oldest known wooden hulled paddle steamer in the world. She was built in Echuca in 1866 and still operates on the Murray River today. She has worked in the Wool Industry, the Timber Industry and the Tourist Industry.
- on the front of the postcard:". Log barge & steamer Echuca" On the bow of the steamer: "Adelaide". On reverse of postcard, in blue pen:" PORT 16.3.82 COL NEG 13x18x1." In black pen encased in a square:"396.1" In blue fountain pen. Letter addressed to "Mrs. J. Robertson 37 Roxburgh St. Ascot Vale." " Your letter to hand(?) Sat. I am much better since my trip away. Was sorry to hear Jess(?) was not well. Hope she is better again. Hoping all are well. Love to all H." Postcard stamped: "Echuca Victoria Ap 6 08" Printed in green "Post W.T.P. Card". In has a red one penny postage stamp in top right hand corner.
- 26 Oct 2017 at 12:16PM