Miniature Bamboo Rickshaw
From the Collection of Dutch Australian Heritage Centre Victoria 60 Rosstown Road Carnegie Victoria
- A small but faithful bamboo replica of the three-wheeled mode of transport known as a cycle rickshaw. Wire has been used to construct a kind of axle that joins the two pedals via a small bamboo tube below the cycle's crossbar and the seat. Although the pedals can be turned this is not an option for the wheels which are firmly glued.
- Overall length is 16cm while the item is 13cm high at its highest point. At its widest point the rickshaw measures 7.5cm.
- The item most likely originates from the former Dutch East Indies where this mode of transport is still available though now supplemented with auto-rickshaws.
- The item hearkens back to the years of Dutch occupation of what is now Indonesia and the fact that many Dutch lived, worked and felt at home there.
- On the back the rickshaw displays registration number 3947. This seems to have been applied with a stamp pad.
- 30 Oct 2017 at 5:00PM