Historical information

This was possibly produced for an open day in the centenary year.
The Shire of Orbost was a local government area about 380 kilometres east of Melbourne. The shire covered an area of 9,347 square kilometres and existed from 1892 until 1994.
Originally, Orbost was part of the Bairnsdale Road District which was created on 30 April 1867. Splitting away as part of the Shire of Tambo in 1882, Orbost was first incorporated as a shire in its own right as the Shire of Croajingolong on 30 May 1892. It received its present name on 17 February 1893. On 3 January 1913 part of its western riding was annexed to Tambo as its Cunninghame Riding.
On 2 December 1994, the Shire was abolished, and merged with City and Shire of Bairnsdale, Shire of Tambo, most of the Shire of Omeo and the Boole Boole Peninsula from Shire of Rosedale into the Shire of East Gippsland.


This is a useful reference tool.

Physical description

Two stapled pages of printed information. On the front page is the logo of Orbost Shire Council. There is information on the role of the Shire Councillors for 1992/93. It has a map of the council building.