The first weekly number of The Girl's Own Paper appeared on 3 January 1880. As with its male counterpart The Boy's Own Paper, the magazine was published by the Religious Tract Society (which subsequently became Lutterworth Press). In October 1929, the title became The Girl's Own Paper and Woman's Magazine but in 1930 the Woman's Magazine became a separate publication. In December 1947 the name was changed to The Girl's Own Paper and Heiress. By 1951 it was called Heiress incorporating the Girl's Own Paper. In 1956 Heiress closed down, and the name "Girl's Own Paper" ceased to exist.
J. Hossack was probably James Hossack. The Hossacks were staunch Presbyterians.
The Girl's Own Paper was an important and positive influence on generations of girls and women, and a vital outlet for women's writing and ideas, for more than three-quarters of a century.
A black/white magazine with a masthead at the top of the front cover. The masthead is based on the sculpture The Spirit of Love and Truth by Joseph Edwards. There are black / white illustrations of young ladies and dogs on the cover.
It contains, stories, educational articles, poetry, music and a serial.
Inscriptions & markings
on front - "J. Hossack, Orbost"