These four certificates belonged to William Hunter. William Hunter (1893-1971) was a resident of Tatura and Mallacoota. He was a soldier, surveyor and amateur naturalist.
The certificates include two first prizes for surveying, a technical scholarship for full day courses and a certificate for Applied Mechanics.
William received his Surveying Certificate in April 1916.
In June 1887, the Working Men's College opened after Francis Ormond, a noted Victorian philanthropist and member of parliament, suggested that a technical institute be built in Melbourne, offering further education for working men and women. He had offered to match the sum raised through public subscription if the government could provide a site for the College.
William Hunter made valuable contributions to our knowledge of far East Gippsland plants. His records were meticulous. These certificates are part of his history.
Four card certificates of merit for "Annual Examinations" from the Working Men's College, The Technical College and School of Mines for the Metropolitan District.
Inscriptions & markings
All four certificates awarded to "William Hunter" and signed by Mordaunt Arundel Hall (accountant & chief clerk WMC) as the Acting Director.