This Emergency Edition of the map of Panmure, Victoria, is part of the W.R. Angus Collection. It was printed in 1942 during World War II. It is one of two maps donated to Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village by the family of Doctor William Roy Angus, who served as Surgeon Captain in the Australian Defence Department.
The map was compiled for the Dept. of Army by the Dept. of Lands and Survey in Melbourne, prepared by the Australian Section of the Imperial General Staff, which was a British Government body created in 1907 to co-ordinate the defence of Britain and its Empire. It was printed by A.H.Q. Cartographic Company, Survey Corps, which was formed in 1941. The Corp changed its name to L.H.Q. Cartographic Company of Bendigo. In 1947 the name reverted back to the A.H.Q. Cartographic Company until 1955 when it became the A.H.Q. Survey Regiment.
The W.R. Angus Collection includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material once belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) as well as Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus who began practice in 1924.
Dr. Angus served with the Australian Department of Defence as a Surgeon Captain during the Second World Was from 1942 to 1945. He served in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W. until he suffering from a heart attack just before the war ended.
ABOUT THE “W.R.ANGUS COLLECTION” -
Doctor William Roy Angus M.B., B.S., Adel., 1923, F.R.C.S. Edin.,1928, was generally known as Dr Roy Angus. His working life included a position as a doctor with the Flying Doctor Service in Australia’s rural and remote areas. After many varied experiences Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool in 1939 where he purchased “Birchwood,” the 1852 home and medical practice of Dr John Hunter Henderson. He was appointed on a part-time basis as Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool and held this position until the 1940’s when the government no longer required the service of a Port Medical Officer. Dr Angus was a surgeon at the Warrnambool Base Hospital 1939-1942. After further studies he commenced practice as an ophthalmologist in Warrnambool, pioneering in artificial eye improvements. He was Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist to Warrnambool Base Hospital for 31 years and made monthly visits to Portland to perform eye surgery.
Dr Angus and his wife Gladys were very involved in Warrnambool’s community with a strong interest in civic affairs. They were both involved in the creation of Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, including the layout of the gardens. After his death on 28th March 1970 his family requested his practitioner’s plate, medical instruments and some personal belongings be displayed in the Port Medical Office surgery at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, and be called the “W. R. Angus Collection”.
This Emergency Edition of the Map of Panmure is significant as an example of the documents prepared for the defence of Australia in World War 2.
The Map is also significant for its connection between the Australian Army and the involvement of Dr WR Angus as a Surgeon in the Medical Services during World War II.
The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool.
The collection of medical instruments and other equipment is culturally significant, being an historical example of medicine, administration, household equipment and clothing from late 19th to mid-20th century. Dr Angus assisted Dr Tom Ryan, a pioneer in the use of X-rays and in ocular surgery.
The collection includes Dr Angus’s Army objects and is significant as an example of items issued to Doctors and Surgeons in the Medical Services of the Australian Army in World War II
Military map of Panmure, Victoria, Australia; part of the W.R. Angus Collection. Rectangular coloured map on cream paper for the Australian Army. Details include sea, waterways and land, contour lines, grid lines, names of districts, towns and roads, bridges, swamps, rail lines, cuttings, tracks, buildings (including blacksmiths), pumps, lighthouses, telegraph, telephones and electric transmission lines, and fire stations. The map has margin notes that include distances in miles to nearby towns.
The map was compiled for the Dept. of Army by the Dept. of Lands and Survey in Melbourne, prepared by the Australian Section, Imperial General Staff and printed by A.H.Q. Cartographic Company, Melbourne in 1942. Crown Copyright Reserved.
Inscriptions in red print state that it is and Emergency Edition and an Official document. An oval purple stamp includes the price.
Inscriptions & markings
Printed in black; 'Victoria / Panmure", "No. 930 / Zone 6"
Printed in red; “EMERGENCY EDITION”, “THIS MAP IS AN OFFICIAL DOCUMENT. IF FOUND, IT MUST BE HANDED / IN TO THE NEAREST MILITARY HEADQUARTERS OR POLICE STATION”
Stamped: within concentric ovals (“- - - FOR SALE / PRICE 2/- / - - - - - OF THE ARMY”)
- flagstaff hill,
- flagstaff hill maritime museum,
- maritime museum,
- shipwreck coast,
- flagstaff hill maritime village,
- great ocean road,
- dr w r angus,
- dr ryan,
- warrnambool base hospital,
- flying doctor,
- surgeon captain,
- australian department of defence,
- royal australian army,
- world war 2,
- map panmure 1942,
- roy angus,
- port medical officer,
- nhill base hospital,
- military map,
- emergency map,
- military service australian army,
- department of army,
- department of lands and survey,
- a.h.q. cartographic company melbourne,
- panmure 1942,
- australian section,
- imperial general staff
- A Military History of Australia, by Jeffrey Grey, Cambridge University Press 2008 A New Nation and its Military Forces pg. 79