From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A white paper account with blue print, red lines. At top left is a blue illustration of a horse. The account is from H. Wehner, General Blacksmith and Wheelwright to R. P. Cameron.
- H-128mm W-213mm
- wehner-blacksmith account book-keeping cameron-r.p.
- Herman Wehner, had learned his trade as a blacksmith and coach builder in Germany before coming to Australia in about 1884. After working for some time in Melbourne and at Wallan he came to Orbost in 1889 and bought John William Borland‟s wheelwright and blacksmithing business in Nicholson Street. At the time there were
two blacksmithing and wheelwright businesses in Orbost, the other one, also in Nicholson Street, was owned by Mr John Russell. (ref, John Phillips Newsletter July 2015)
Robert Pullar Cameron was a Shire Councillor for many years. He married Penuel Hossack and had a family of James, Flora, Penuel and Alex.
- 1st November, 1927
- Wehner (blacksmith)
- The Wehner family is/ was a prominent family in Orbost from the late 19th century. Herman Wehner founded Wehner's Blacksmith's at Orbost in 1889. Oswald Wehner began working in 1910 with his father. In 1947 Ossie's son Tom started blacksmithing, retiring in 1991 and closing the business, The building remains in Nicholson Street. This item is an example of book-keeping in the early 20th century. It is a useful research tool.
- 18 Jan 2018 at 12:14PM