From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A white paper account with black print and red lines. Hand-written from Lancelot Herbert of Snowy River Stores to R.P. Cameron.
- H-256mm W-177mm
- herbert-lancelot snowy-river-stores cameron-robert-pullar
- Lancelot Herbert came to Orbost in 1886, taking up a partnership with local store-owner George Temple. After Mr Temple’s death in 1891, Lancelot took over the store and progressively developed Herberts Snowy River Stores which grew into a department store of several shops along Nicholson St. He also had small shops at Cann
River, Noorinbee and Genoa which were run by members of his family, as well as a carrying business and fuel outlets. Lancelot died on 2/6/1911 and his wife Martha [died
1945] are buried in a joint grave in Orbost Cemetery. (info. Noreen and Lindsay Thomson)
Robert Pullar Cameron was a Shire Councillor for many years. He married Penuel Hossack and had a family of James, Flora, Penuel and Alex.
- March 31st 1911
- Herbert, Lancelot (Maker)
- This item is associated with a well-known Orbost business which started in 1888 and finally closed in c.1970. it is an example of book-keeping in the early 20th century and is a useful research tool.
- 18 Jan 2018 at 2:52PM