Dish - The Outlet at Maroondah Dam, Souvenir
From the Collection of Melbourne Water 990 La Trobe Street Docklands Victoria
- Small white porcelain dish with silver trim, 120x75x10mm, with drawing printed in the centre and text reading, "The Outlet, Maroondah Dam, Healesville, Vic."
- 120 x 75 x 10mm
- melbourne metropolitan board of works, mmbw, maroondah, outlet, melbourne water, scenic view, souvenir, porcelain, healesville
- The Maroondah System was first and foremost developed as a functional component of Melbourne's Water Supply System. In addition to functionality, the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) envisioned the Maroondah Reserve to be enjoyed aesthetically and recreationally by the public.
This souvenir dish illustrates the realisation of the Maroondah System as a local recreational and tourist attraction in the early 20th century. The Maroondah Reserve gardens were landscaped with English-style ornamental stonework, exotic trees, flower beds and rose gardens. All features of the water supply system became widely celebrated as beauty spots that continue to be very popular to this day with tourists and locals alike. This souvenir is a product of that flourishing tourist trade.
These water supply sites continue to enhance Melbourne’s charm and liveability and are now recognised as places of cultural and historic significance.
- This souvenir item represents an important historical aspect of the MMBW by demonstrating the popularity of its water asset sites as recreational places and tourist attractions, and although these sites are functional parts of the water supply system, they were also designed to be enjoyed by the public both aesthetically and recreationally.
The souvenir dish is significant for its documentation of the Maroondah Water Supply System developed through the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, shaping the formative years of Melbourne.
The dish is also historically significant for its association with the MMBW and is viewed as a noteworthy achievement of the organisation.
- Makers mark, Manufactured in Czechoslovakia
- 31 May 2018 at 4:50PM