Historical information

The railway was extended from Eltham to Hurstbridge in 1912. This bridge is most likely near Allendale Road, Diamond Creek. It was one of four original trestle bridges in the stretch north of Allendale Road, which were all burnt out in January 1969 (replaced by two steel bridges and two corrugated iron culverts).


This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.'
It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Physical description

Digital image
One 4 x 5 inch B&W negative
One 9 x 12.5 cm print