Historical information

The first steam train to Hurstbridge was probably this one which carried equipment for the construction of the rail line and railway station. The formal opening of the train extension from Eltham to Hurstbridge railway station took place on June 25, 1912. The area was known as Allwood and was offically proclaimed as Hurstbridge in 1924.


This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book, "Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.'
It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Physical description

Digital image