Photograph, Eltham Hardware and Timber Co, Main Road, Eltham, opposite Railway Station. c.1952, c.1952

Historical information

Eltham Hardware and Timber Co, Main Road, Eltham, opposite Railway Station. c.1952 but in later years more correctly as opposite the Post Office

Proprietor is J.N. Burgoyne and Sons who probably purchased it at auction in November 1950 and sold it October 1953.

The Eltham Hardware and Timber Company first opened on Main Road opposite the Railway Station around late 1922. An advertisement placed in the Hurstbridge Advertiser advised that the Hardware Store had just opened with a varied stock of Saws, Hammers, Nails, Shovels, Screw Drivers, and every article required in a house or on a farm. People were also encouraged to try their Jams, Pickles, Sauces, Cups and Saucers, etc.

A few months later in May 1923, William Walker, a plumber, placed an advertisement wishing to to announce that he had taken over the
ELTHAM HARDWARE STORE, and asked for the continued support of the district. He also noted that all kinds of Plumbing work was done.

Walker remained the proprietor of the Hardware Store for many years regularly advertising its services and wares up until at least 1941. The trail goes a bit quiet then but he does appear in the 1944 Electoral Roll listed as a Plumber, of Main Street, Eltham. However he is not listed in the 1949 Electoral Roll but his son, Thomas Roy Walker, also a plumber of Main Road is listed. Thomas had been on active duty overseas during the Second World War and returned at the end of 1945. It is assumed that William died sometime between 1945 and 1949.

On November 18th, 1950 the Hardware Store and residence was auctioned on site by Scarff Bros. Pty Ltd. It is presumed that this is when J.N. Burgoyne and Sons took over the business. It would have been around this time the picture of the store was taken for only three years later, in October 1953, the business and dwelling was again put up for sale, this time by Trebilcock Bros, in two separate lots.

LOT 1. — ELTHAM HARDWARE AND TIMBER CO.

Freehold and Property, Plant, Fittings and Business; Plus Stock at Valuation. To be Sold as a Going Concern.

THE FREEHOLD PROPERTY Comprises Large Brick and Timber Shop. Well Fitted. Has Good Light. Comfortable 3-Room Dwelling and Detached Bungalow, H.W.S., Phone, Garage and Outbuildings. Situate on Large Allotment, 50 Ft. x 150 Ft. Aprox.

THE BUSINESS: Flourishing Hardware and Builders’ Supplies, Crockery, Glassware and Gifts, Dry Cleaning Agency and Petrol Reseller Licence (1 Bowser Installed), Oil Storage. Annual Turnover Aprox. £12,000. Audited Figures Available, Old-established Business Comprehensive Stock is Good, Clean and Saleable (Value Approx. £4000).

TERMS: £1000 Deposit, Balance 30 Days. VACANT POSSESSION.

LOT 2. — Superb Shop Sites. Adjoining the Above Property. Land 58 Ft. x 150 Ft. (Approx.). Erected on Land Is Old Style 4-r Timber Dwelling, Set Well Back from Footpath. Leaving Ample Apace to erect Shops. Also Small Shop Let as Agent’s Office. To Be Sold Subject to Existing Tenancies, Gross Rentals £106 12/ Per Annum. Terms: £1000 Deposit, Balance 30 days.

GENERAL: Eltham Is a Rapidly Developing Area only 12 Miles from G.P.O. Street Frontage of these Two Adjoining Properties Is 108 Feet By Depth of 150 Feet in the Heart of Expanding Shopping Centre, directly Opposite Station Entrance. Full Details and Inspection Available on Application from the Auctioneers:

TREBILCOCK BROS.

AUCTIONEERS and ESTATE AGENTS,

Coincidentally, the Hardware Store was taken over by Richard Phillip Trebilcock, an electrical engineer from Mayona Road, Montmorency

In 1957 Russell (Rus) Clinton, with his wife Betty always working at his side, sold the Panton Hill General Store (which he had bought in 1953) and then immediately purchased the Eltham Hardware & Timber Co. store. During their many years of running this Eltham store, the Clintons lived at 321 The Boulevard, East Ivanhoe. The store became known as Clinton's Hardware Store and Gas Centre. Clinton was the agent for Heatane Gas sales and received an award in 1964 for top sales from the Gas and Fuel Corporation. By October 1964 work had commenced to expand the store, which was already one of Eltham's largest, with 75% more floor space and a second floor that would provide direct access to the new carpark at the rear of the shops, completed early in January 1965.

Physical description

Negative black and white film 120 6x6 format

Inscriptions & markings

Single frame

Back to top