Roper's Hut was built in 1939 and was burnt down in 2003. It was rebuilt in 2008 and is situated on the Bogong High Plains on Duane Spur (where Duane's hut had been before it too was destroyed by (1939) bushfires, between Mt Nelse and Big River. The original hut was used as a shelter for cattlemen who grazed their cattle on the High Plains during summer. The Victorian High Country Huts Association Inc. members and friends helped rebuild the hut which is now used as an emergency shelter for visitors to the High Plains.
The memorabilia is significant as the items belonged to the Roper family who were one of the original settlers of the Kiewa Valley and one of the original families who drove their cattle up to the Bogong High Plains. The burnt plaque and forks and the rebuilding of the huts (Duane's & Roper's) are significant as bush fires are a constant threat to the Bogong High Plains destroying large areas at a time.
1. Bronze Plaque and 2 damaged forks from Roper's Hut which was destroyed by bush fires in 2003. 2. DVD & USB and hard copy photos of the rebuild of Roper's Hut in January 2008.
Inscriptions & markings
The plaque had 'In Memory of / John F. P. Roper/ died 3-12-1977 / Aged 78 years / He built the original hut Feb. 1939'