Historical information

The School of Mines was established in 1870 in Ballarat, making it Australia's third oldest tertiary institution. Redmond Barry was its first president, and he was involved in the creation of university degree level courses for the school. The School of Mines was divided into a tertiary division and a technical division. The tertiary division provided higher education courses such as mining engineering, geology, education and business studies, while the technical division provided such programs as wool classing, plumbing and bricklaying.It remained in that form until the 1967 when it was split into three institutions, Ballarat School of Industries, Ballarat Technical School, and Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education. They remained three entities until 1976. Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education merged into Ballarat College of Advanced Education. The Ballarat School of Industries and Ballarat Technical School merged into the School of Mines and Industries, Ballarat (SMB) in 1976.
Several entities merged or had arrangements with SMB. In 1994, a memo of understanding (MOU) was signed between SMB and the Ararat Technical School, which was founded in 1969. Then, in 1998, SMB and the Horsham-based Wimmera Institute of TAFE (1984), dating back to 1882, merged into the University of Ballarat to create a larger University.

Physical description

Green woollen, mostly unlined (apart from the upper back and sleeves) blazer with embroidered emblem on breast pocket. The edges are bound including the three pockets and the sleeve cuff 9 cm from the edge. There are three green buttons at the front. The internal edges are overlocked and there is a panel stitched to the inside where the top of the side pockets are stitched.

Inscriptions & markings

Embroidered patch on breast pocket.