This image captures the moment just before the Maldon Market Building was converted into the Shire Hall and Offices. The decision to so convert it was made formally by the man who painted it in has new role as Shire Secretary.
This framed oil painting on canvas depicts the Maldon Market building, in the period before it was converted to be the Maldon Shire Hall and Offices. In the rear of the scene the Courthouse can be seen, with the Maldon Contingent of the Victorian Volunteer Rifles drilling in front of it.
These buildings are located in the former Government Camp area.
The work was painted by Henry Joseph Charles Mitchell, later to become the Shire Secretary in 1864.