This bottle was made in Epsom, Bendigo at the Bendigo Pottery Works. The bottle contained ginger beer manufactured at the cordials factory of J.S. Rowley at the corner of Timor and Banyan Streets, Warrnambool. John Searle Rowley (1837-1893) opened a branch of the Geelong Corio Brewery in Timor Street and in 1868 established a cordial manufacturing plant on the site. The brewery section closed and the cordial manufacturing section, called the Warrnambool Steam Aerated Waters works, was expanded, By the 1880s there were 13 employees and 20 varieties of soft drinks were being produced. After Rowley died in 1893 the business continued under the same name with Ralph Reeves managing the plant from 1900 until he moved to Koroit Street and operated a cordial factory under his own name.
This bottle is of interest as an example of the soft drinks manufactured by J.S.Rowley of Banyan Street Warrnambool. This business was an important one in Warrnambool in the second half of the 19th century and early in the 20th century.
This is a ceramic bottle in brown and buff colouring. The top has two chips. There is no stopper.
Inscriptions & markings
‘J.S. Rowley Hamilton and Warrnambool Ginger Beer’
‘The Bendigo Pottery Epsom Bendigo’