From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic
- Black and white photograph of men of 8th Light Horse Regiment on parade ground at Broadmeadows Victoria with tents and marquees in background. Photo glued to fluted card backing.
- 85mm x 133mm x 3mm
- 8th light horse regiment, broadmeadows
- The 8th Light Horse Regiment AIF was raised at Broadmeadows Victoria in September 1914 under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Alexander White and formed part of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade. The regiment served at Gallipoli where in a courageous but ill-fated charge at the Nek on 7 August 1915 it suffered horrendous casualties including Lieutenant Colonel White. Rebuilt in Egypt under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Leslie Maygar VC the regiment went on the serve throughout the Middle East Campaign. Colonel Maygar died of wounds at Beersheba when the regiment was attacked by enemy aircraft while waiting to follow up the successful charge of the 4th LH Brigade on 30 October 1917. The 8th Light Horse AIF was disbanded in 1919, but soon after re-raised as the 8th (Indi) Light Horse in the Citizen Military Forces, superseding 16th (Indi) Light Horse.
- Pert of a rare collection of photographs showing 8th Light Horse (AIF) during WWI (1914-1918)
- "The Last Parade of the 8th Light Horse in its second camp, Broadmeadows"
- 26 May 2018 at 5:29PM