From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- Two white paper accounts. They are typed in black and are statements of receipts and expenditure for the Presbyterian Church in Orbost. On one sheet is an alhabetical list of subscribers for the year ending June 30, 1891. On the other is a general account of receipts and expenditure.
- H-33omm W-212mm
- presbyterian-church-orbost account-book-keeping
- The first Presbyterian Church service was conducted at the Orbost Station Homestead in 1885, during a visit by Sir William Clarke, who was accompanied by two ministers. The organist was resident Grace Jennings Carmichael. Services were later held in Mr J. W. Borland’s shop and the Mechanics Hall. In 1887 the land on which the church now stands was purchased from Mr James Hossack snr, for £50 ($100). The trustees were Mr John, Peter and Hugh Cameron, Mr John A Watt and Mr James Hossack Jnr. Timber from Richardson’s Tabbara Mill was used by builder Mr R. P Cameron and at a cost of £ 311.3.7 ($622) the church was opened January 9th 1898.
This item is from the estate of Elsie Cooke. Elsie Cooke was a librarian in Orbost for many years. She was the daughter of John Cooke early Brodribb settler. Elsie Cooke lived all her life in Gippsland,. She was born at Brodribb in 1895 and died in 1970, Elsie Cooke lived at Bruthen for a short time and, in 1937, moved to live with her aunt, Miss Jean Munro. Miss Cooke was Librarian at the Mechanics Institute for many years. Kindness and consideration for other were Miss Cooke’s attributes and she endeared herself to all who knew her. She was a loyal member of the Presbyterian Church and a stalwart of the Ladies’ Guild, an energetic worker for the Municipal Auxiliary and a member of the Red Cross. (ref. Mary Gilbert
- 30th June 1891
- Presbyterian Church (church)
- This item is associated with the Presbyterian Church in Orbost. It is an example of early book-keeping and is also associated with Elsie Cooke.
- 21 May 2018 at 11:53AM