Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost
A black / white photograph showing a large white building and factory beside it. on the verandah are about thirty milk churns. There are three men standing astride bicycles in front of the verandah.
On the left hand side is a mound of dark soil??
This photograph shows the Orbost Butter factory, which in 1917, installed a very successful electric light. the dark heap to the left of the road is Supposedly the grave of "Dan the Cook" who was speared by Aborigines in 1857. Dan Moylan, known as "Dan the Cook"was speared to death in 1851 at Orbost Station, Snowy River as punishment for kidnapping a young Aboriginal girl and holding her for three days, refusing to release her. The men of the tribe congregated at Dan's hut. When Dan came outside, a volley of spears was launched at him, killing him.
In the tragic aftermath, the camp at Milly Creek was attacked in retribution and a number of Gunai/Kurnai people were killed.
The Orbost Butter and Produce Co. Ltd was registered on June 1st 1893 and was an important source of income to the Orbost district. These photos are pictorial records of the Orbsot Butter Factory.