Historical information

These shorts come from the Fletcher Jones clothing factory in Warrnambool. They have never been worn. David Fletcher Jones (1895-1977) served in World War One and in the 1920s set up as a travelling hawker selling drapery in the Western District of Victoria. In 1924 he leased three shops in Liebig Street Warrnambool and in 1928 he moved his business to the corner of Koroit and Liebig Streets. He manufactured men’s clothing on site with the business known as the Men’s Shop. In 1931 he moved into a newly-erected two-storeyed building on the site. In 1946 he opened a store in Melbourne and in 1948 he established a clothing factory in Warrnambool with a new company set up in 1951 – Fletcher Jones and Staff. This company became known Australia-wide with its production, firstly of men’s trousers and later both men’s and women’s clothing. By 2011 the factory was closed and the company dissolved.


These shorts are of interest as an example of an item made at the Fletcher Jones factory in Warrnambool. The Fletcher Jones Clothing Company, known throughout Australia, was one of the most important industries in Warrnambool in the 20th century.

Physical description

These men’s shorts are made of polyester and viscose and are light brown in colour. They have an elasticised waist band with five buttons and a corded lining, three pockets and a nylon zip front opening with a metal fastener. The shorts have two labels stitched into the inside of the garment and one paper label attached to the shorts by a nylon clip.

Inscriptions & markings

‘Fletcher Jones Australia’