Trophies - Glass - Tawonga Primary School
From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Vic
- Clear glass with gold metal brim and embossed in gold on two sides. Base is solid tapering up to the glass sides.
- Brim 65 cm diameter. Base: 45 cm diameter. Height: 90 cm
- KVHS 1553
- tawonga primary school, kiewa valley, education
- The Tawonga Primary School was a weatherboard building built on 8 acres. In 1900 a fire destroyed the building and its records. The school was then moved to the Old Tawonga Hall before a new one was built in 1910 on land donated by Frank Cooper. In 1937 and 1954 further buildings were added. Tobacco farming and the building of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme increased the number of pupils during the 1950s and 1960s. This glass represents the celebration held when the school became 100 years old.
- Tawonga Primary School was established for the children of the farmers of the Kiewa Valley in 1880 and later for children of the tobacco farmers and workers on the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme. The history of the school reflects the activities of the people living in the valley and in particular Tawonga township.
- On one side: Gold embossed picture of school building
On opposite side: Gold embossed 2 circles - Inside inner one: 1880 - 1980. Between this and outer circle - Tawonga Primary School No 2282. Underneath both circles gold embossed: Centenary
- 8 Aug 2018 at 5:15PM