Historical information

The ship Speke, which was wrecked in 1906 near Kitty Miller Bay, was named after the town Speke in Liverpool, where Speke Hall is located.
Source http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/place/speke-hall
Speke Hall

This half-timbered Tudor courtyard house acquired its present shape during the 16th century under the ownership of Sir William Norris and his grandson, also Sir William. It was completed, except for some minor additions, for Edward Norris by 1606. The predominant architectural message of Speke is the decorative potential of wood. The exterior, with its high proportion of timber to infill, is a riot of geometrical patterning, while many of the Tudor interiors are filled with carved and embellished panelling – including a genealogical overmantel from c.1560 – some probably imported from the Low Countries, where the Norrises had trading connections. After a period of neglect, Speke was restored and entirely refurnished in the mid-19th century by the Watt family.

Physical description

2 x Large photos of Speke Hall - 1 Black & White, 1 coloured.

Inscriptions & markings

Speke Hall, Gardens and Estate